Saturday, September 19, 2009

Good Deeds

Not many men would claim to be able to figure women out. Heck, I am a woman, and I can't figure myself out most of the time.

At the end of last year, I said I would be happy to record some books for my son's at the time kindergarten teacher (things went well and he's now in first grade). So, I have these 12 books all summer long. I see them every week or so and of course, feel guilt.

So night before last I decide I am going to knock out this project. I can read. I read hundreds of books to my kids, so I think I'm the one for the job. First, I hunt around for a microphone for the computer that I know I've seen in the last five years. After 15 minutes of poking around in the garage, my husband wonders what exactly I'm doing.

I tell him and he informs me that the microphone was an old way, no longer compatible with our Mac. "Good grief," I say. "Can I ever get a break?"

So he suggests using my iphone and recording the books using the handy-dandy voice memo application. Sure. It does, in fact, work, so I have my first four minute book recorded.

I think I can easily e-mail the file to my computer. Ha! It's too large. I try dividing it up multiple ways, but I just can't get it. Back this summer, my first iphone was stolen, and I have not exactly been good about getting my new one all in one spot. I did not want to synch my phone because that allows my computer's junk to go to my phone, but it erases my phone. What kind of dumb, backward idea is this? I mean seriously. By the way, this is the next day and I have now spent a good chunk of time on this project (and yes, I have PILES of other things I should be doing). I am angry and getting less reasonable as time goes on.

Wow! This rant has some length, but I don't care. In the end, my usual go-to guy is not much help (sorry, Gene). However, I ended up texting an iphone/Mac junkie who comes to my classes every now and again and makes fun of my blogs. Turns out, he had the perfect solution. So I stayed up until midnight recording the rest of the books.

And, I wonder why I was grouchy today when my kids were super obnoxious and all-out naughty as they battled (literally) for about 20 minutes in the backseat. Thankfully, my sister came to save me. The hour escape really helped, but I think my kids half-worried whether I was coming back.

1 comment:

royboy said...

Inquiring minds want to know (at least mine does)...what did you use to do your book recordings?