Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall (not spring) break

We just concluded the eighth week of a 16-week semester. Thursday and Friday marked our traditional fall break. In November, we have a three-day break for Thanksgiving, but at the moment I am lamenting my Fall Break. I worked both days (at the office). And I did not read a good book or have a garage sale. (don't ask)

I FINALLY did the dishes with some help from Gene, and I did a mountain of laundry and/or drawer switching as we prepare for cooler temps. I helped a friend out and added a couple of kiddos to my own two, took all four boys to Jacob's flag football game and froze while my 6-year-old ran around the field shivering. Then I met another friend and added her two boys to my four at Chuck-E-Cheese for lunch and some easy child entertainment (all such things exact their price, but we did have a nice visit anyway)

I'll leave you with this plea for parental support.

Me: "Jacob, find your coat and put it on. It's cold outside."
Jacob: "I am wearing long-sleeves."
Me: "I know, but you still need a coat."
Jacob (now yelling). "Only DUMB people wear a coat with long-sleeve shirts, AND I AM NOT DUMB."

As I conduct my own evaluation of his behavior, I am thinking it is going to be a long Kansas winter. Then later at church our pastor preached a very powerful message on the importance of prayer and the right kind of prayer. I wonder what kind of prayer long-sleeves fall under.

No comments: