Saturday, November 10, 2007

And then Jacob said …

My voice sucks this week, so I was thrilled when Jacob picked out an "I Spy" book to read for bed Friday night.

Somehow, the topic of marriage came up with my 4-year-old as we hunted for the various objects on the page. He informed me that he was going to do something (wish I remembered that part) when he was married.

Me: Who are you going to marry?

J: Riley.

Me: Why Riley?

J: She is my favorite girl at school.

Me: Why?

J: She's very pretty. (Pause.) I need to marry a really pretty girl.

I am wondering how to reply to that when he says this.

"Boys can't marry boys, right mom?"

Uhhh?! Is this a random 4-year-old type of question or has he been talking to someone on the playground.

I sort of nod my head as a response. He continues.

"Boys can't marry boys that would be silly. Girls get the babies."

Just who is this child?

Me: "What do you mean?"

J: If you are gonna get a baby, you need a girl. God puts babies in their tummies."

I can only imagine the look on my face as I try to nod in agreement. Perhaps he wasn't quite sure where I stood on the issue.

J: Well, wasn't I in your tummy, mommy?"

2 comments:

Campbell or @FELTit or Designs by Anna said...

Boy, did this conversation bring back memories.....

Nick was about the same age, and, when heading into the Dillons with his father, asked him in that not-too-quiet-4 year old voice, "So, how does the Daddy's sperm get to the egg?"

Needless to say, KJS bailed, blubbered, and told him to ask me when they got home!

What fun!!!

Jeannine said...

Oh, kids!

(As though I really know...)

But either way, this made me laugh.