Sunday, January 20, 2008

On Simplicity

For years, I have been promising myself a leaner, meaner schedule, all the while coming up with several new and better things to do.

I teach three classes this semester at work and advise two award-winning publications. My days are filled with meetings, mostly with students. We are revising our curriculum and trying to hire a new faculty member, both of which mean more meetings. I am the second vice president for the Kansas Associated Collegiate Press, which means I have to plan the conference in April. Early April. I will be in New York City for one week this March working the registration area for the national College Media Advisers group.

I am the 2008 VBS coordinator at church. Let the countdown begin. I also teach a 13-week block of Sunday school and semi-facilitate a weekly women's Bible study.

I am a member of the Shawnee County Reserve Medical Reserve Corps because I have this idea I should contribute beyond my church and work duties.

I freelance for the Topeka Capital Journal, which you can visit and search for my name if you want to see what I have written for them.

I am a wife to a man with a crazy job and we have two boys who are 4 and 2, close to being 5 and 3. Our youngest sees a wonderful speech therapist twice a month at 8 a.m. I took him to the doctor six times in a month and a half before the holidays. (Please note this list is not in order of importance, obviously)

I am also a child of God. He loves me and wants me to spend my life loving him and allowing him to love me back. He wants me to be FREE, even though this control freak (me!) is not allowed to be in control. Nope. That's God's job, too. Love him. Spend time with him and his Word daily. Love his people as myself. All people.

My friends also insist that I must give up control of certain things around my home, too. If I give a job to my husband, I thereby relinquish all rights and control of said job. As another one of my tasks is to maintain our home, I must honestly say giving up all control of any household tasks just isn't on my to-do list today. Don't I have enough to do already? Geez! : 0 )

No comments: