Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Regina's Religion

I have a lot of thoughts and ideas on religion. If you are one of those "easily offended" types, do not read this post. It won't sit well.

As the adviser of the newspaper, I received a copy of a letter from a rather active "religious" group in Topeka. I'll let you try to guess which one. Though this group is likely the most organized, anti-homosexual movement I've ever seen, it's not the only one. Basically, the gist of the letter was that Washburn was a dark, evil place, filled with dark, evil people. Hmm. However, it seems, more or less, that attending WU is the only choice because the "real world" requires a college education. So, how does that line up with their belief system? Would a God who so passionately "hates" people he actually created condone such evil for the sake of a job? Aren't there other less-evil colleges in the world? It does not seem to quite line up, does it?

And then, I am filled with other questions, too. Why is it that this group and some other groups are on such a mission against this one issue? What about the liars, cheats, murders, adulters, etc. Sin is sin in God's eyes.

And, by the way, he hates SIN, not people.

2 comments:

Regina Cassell said...

While I'm on a roll, and in somewhat of a ranting mood, let's talk about people who are offended by religion.

What a bunch of crap! I believe wholeheartedly in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. I think there are a lot of really crazy religions out there, but they don't offend me.

What is so offensive about people believing passionately about something? It may not be a politically correct to believe one way is right and another is wrong, but it's truth.

It's impossible for me, as a Christian, to believe in what I do and accept the teachings of other religions. But, on the other hand, everyone must choose for themselves. I agree with that. But I'm not sure how hearing a prayer or learning something that is faith-based takes away a person's freedom of religion.

I'm a Christian. I attend a baptist church because I like the people there. It's based on the Bible. I really like that, too.

Speaking of that, I'm completely annoyed by those who claim the Bible isn't real because it's been translated too many times. Give me a break. I'll bet 98 percent of these people have never actually read the Bible.

OK, back to the baptists. And, though I find a lot of things about the baptist faith as an organization commendable, I am not a baptist. I am just a plain old Christian.

I believe once you have an authentic relationship with Jesus, your life starts to change. Faith, I actually hate the word "religion," is a lifelong journey or process.

While it's very personal and between you and God, it's also not a journey that God intended to be traveled alone. (So, again, I am annoyed by folks who claim not to need church or fellowship with people to live in the faith. Umm, God disagrees with that statement. Refer to the big book.)

If God had intended for us to be alone, perhaps he would have made one person and been done with that.

Good luck trying to offend yourself!

Regina Cassell said...

I try to pray for them as well. There is this verse in the Bible. If I were more scholarly, I'd know exactly where.

Anyway, it's Jesus talking and he says "whatever you did to the least of these, you did to me."

God creates people because he wants to have a relationship with us. We are created beings and designed for some extraordinary purpose.

I would not want to stand in front of God the father, who abounds in love, and be accountable for all the hatred I worked to spread.

The Bible is clear about homosexuality being a sin, but it's certainly not the only one. Being drunk is a sin also, so does God hate alcoholics? What if they are trying to stop drinking? What about liars who are desperately trying to stop lying?

People have a need for love and acceptance. It's a real need, and they often go where they can find it. Jesus went where the sinners were, not to picket them or point a finger. He went there to save them.

If we were created in Christ's own image, what should our response be to any group of people looking for a place to belong?

We need to worry more about the actual people and less about the sin areas of their lives. We all sin and fall short of God's glory. People do not change people. That's an impossible task.

Only God, the creator of the heart, can change them. Love people. Lead them to know Christ. He will work with them personally to sort through the sin areas in their lives. That's not a human task. We need to be worrying about our own areas of sin.