Monday, December 14, 2009

Grading and Grace

I find myself in emotional turmoil as I face the grading in my writing courses. If students complete even half of the assignments in my writing classes, they have truly worked hard.

Call me nuts, but I don't know how to teach writing without making students write themselves silly while reading some outstanding writing samples for good measure.

I see the progress as I move through their final portfolios. I hope they realize the growth after they stop throwing darts at my picture.

During my college career, I fell down at the altar of the mighty GPA. As a faculty member, I find myself wanting to help students as much as I can. On the other hand, I find it extremely annoying to lend a helping hand when the student clearly has not met me halfway. It's always such a balancing game.

In the end, I wish that judging writing, dedication and true appreciation of learning was more clear cut. But then again, I am positively thrilled when a struggling hard worker produces prose that almost takes my breath away.

No comments: