Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Vacation

For a perpetual control freak, summer does not conjure up feelings of joy for me. I am typically relieved that the spring semester is over, but summer means transition and plans heavily tied to a weather forecast.

I have this wonderful vision of carefree kids enjoying the perks of summer. To Jared, that means swimming and ice cream every day. To Jacob, it means nonstop time on the DS.

Is there a guidebook out there for moms to create carefree summer experiences for kids? Is it OK if I let Jacob play the DS for 10 hours a day (my instincts scream a huge NO! here, so he's probably out of luck).

Do I simply agree to cool the yard and quit bugging them to shut the front door? How many times should we go to the pool? When should we do errands? How do you arrange quality play dates when most of their friends are in day camps because their parents work? How much unstructured time is good? There is a difference between unstructured and unscheduled. And then, they bug me to death to play the Wii, DS or be on the computer.


I remember some adventures from my summers. There are things we did at grandma's house that I would probably faint even imaging one of my boys doing. How do you find the balance between protecting them and letting them grow up and have some non-mother-approved fun?

And, who is the nut who says summer is fun and relaxing? Hmph!

5 comments:

Online Auctions said...

Nice Sharing!
Faljo.com - Your online source for Online Auctions, Online Shopping, Car Auctions and much more. Buy and Sell with our Online Auction community today, the World's online marketplace. Just Sign up and begin to buy and sell everything in auction now.

Best SEO Company said...

Hi,
We specialize in providing innovate and high quality solutions that helps our clients in gaining an edge over their competitors. We ensure that we have a good understanding of the client's expectations, goals and objectives before developing a project.

Thanks

Car Tracking Device said...

Hi,
We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

Thanks

Groupon Clone Software said...

Nice Sharing!
I am glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

Thanks

E-Learning Software India said...

Hi,
I have read your post and I admire the information which you offered here. It is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing information!