Friday, March 16, 2007

"For the love of God"

For awhile now, I've maintained a position that certain things are just "in" you. You can do your best to squelch them, but they will still manage to wiggle out every now and again.

I am a Christian. I love God, and I certainly do not mean to disrespect His name, but I fear I do it on a quite casual basis, which I feel is worse yet.

Tonight, after blowing my nose at least 200 times today, I was in a hurry to get the boys eating supper. Jacob had already announced he wanted yogurt and a PB&J sandwich. Fine with me, only he wanted to make it himself. I told him that I was really tired and just wanted to get it done faster.

Brief silence. Then he says to me, "For the love of God! I can make a sandwich." I dropped the knife because I know exactly who taught him to say this. Oh, boy. Further reflection reveals that I say this frequently, along with "Oh, Godd" and "Good Lord!" How do these "godly" interjections make it into my language? Years of use. And, I do mean years.

Funny how hearing the words from a 3-year-old can leave quite the impression.

1 comment:

Campbell or @FELTit or Designs by Anna said...

I know exactly what you are saying here-and I think it is part of the promise that God made: the sins of the father (or mother) shall be visited on the son. I think this happens for one reason in particular-so that we may "see" ourselves with fresh eyes in order that we might realize/discover/become painfully aware of the areas in our lives that we still need to work on. It is far too easy to become complacent, and we need the "fresh eyes" of God himself to help us see our weaknesses. What better way to do that than through the eyes of a child.

Hang in there, friend, we are all on that very same journey with you.

Anna