Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What would God say

I'm on my way to pick up my youngest son when Jacob suddenly announces "I didn't throw rocks at Ms. Beckey's car today."

Of course, I immediately realize that he did. But, playing his game, I say "Oh, who did that?"

A pause and then an enthusiastic, "Nathan!"

"Who else?" I probe.

"Just him. No one else."

"Hmm. I wonder what God saw."

Another pause and then a plead, "Don't ask Him!"

I guess his guilty conscience had gotten the best of him because he did fess up. Even at age 4, Jacob knows that the same God who chases away the monsters he fears at night is with him all day long.

Tuesday night was my weekly Bible study, and the funny thing is that the message was very similar. We're studying the dramatic life of the apostle Paul, who at this point has spent two years in prison because he was not afraid to proclaim the truth of Christ.

Beth Moore, who is an amazing Christian woman who writes these studies for women, went back and studied a U.S. court case that gave a detailed account of how a person must prove they have a religious conviction.

See the U.S. Supreme Court is looking for convictions, not preferences or philosophies. We have to be the same when people are watching us and when they aren't. Over and over again, Paul shared his testimony. He didn't change it or relent from telling it. He was so convicted that he simply did not have any choice.

I hope if I were on trial for my faith, there would be enough evidence to convict me. Our high court says that our conviction must permeate every aspect of our lives, not just our behavior on Sunday mornings.

No comments: