Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Grading

I teach writing. Actually, I coach young writers. Well, maybe I just make them write their butts off.

Anyway you break it down, my classes require a lot of grading. I like grading when these things happen.

1) My students have followed directions.

2) Their work indicates that they care a trifle about the assignment

3) It's quality writing.

4) It does not take me more time to grade than the time the student put into the assignment.

I do not love grading when these things happen.

1) It's late.

2) It's sloppy.

3) It's full of stupid errors.

4) There's too much of it (I am a hard-core believer in practice makes better!)

5) I've basically read the same paper for the last two hours. (Be creative and original, please!)

1 comment:

Tully Corcoran said...

I hate assignments when:
1) I have them.
The end.