Monday, October 16, 2006

Praise

I teach writing, but I'm still a reporter. Might be an actual reporter if the hours were better.

Anyway, I got an e-mail from an editor at the local paper saying that she liked my story and my lede. I obsessed a great deal over both, by the way. And, I am very proud to receive this compliment for my work. I'm still worried that others might not like it, but that's more or less my personality.

I was always very envious of my oldest, younger sister because so many things seemed to come natually to her.

I played the flute in band, and at one time sat first chair. But, I practiced my butt off for that and stopped when the boys got more interesting. She picks up any instrument and without a care is creating music.

I love to write. I've always loved to write. And, as I teach my students year after year, I always wonder if I've got what it takes to make it at what I'm teaching. Again, writing is something that comes quite easily to my sister. She's a great poet, and her writing comes from her soul.

I have had the amazing opportunity to interview some truly amazing people in my day. I even got to hug Maya Angelou when I was the editor of my college newspaper. Yeah! I hugged the woman.

I'm passionate about a lot of people and things, so when I write a story, especially one I've pitched, I'm tied to it. It's fate rests in my hands for the most part. Sure, an editor is going to come along and add the polish, but an editor can only take a story so far.

1 comment:

Campbell or @FELTit or Designs by Anna said...

I can't wait to read it-when will it be in the paper?