Thursday, October 12, 2006

Weakest link

My latest theory is a spinoff of an old one. A family is only as strong as its weakest link.

This week has been a nightmare of sorts. My poor husband has spent the last several days coughing and hacking with enough passion to shake the very foundation of our little house. Cough medicine, which is to be taken only every four hours, takes a good 30 minutes to kick in and wears off 30 minutes before the next dose is due.

Brings me back to the days of nursing my oldest son. There was a "sleep window" in-between feedings, of course, but you had to be quick about getting right to sleeping. And, at the moment true contement would invade the would-be sleeper, the baby was hungry again.

My sweetie has voluteered to take the sofa, but a sick man deserves his own bed. I could take the sofa myself, but I fear that would only make him feel worse that he already does.

So, I am currently running on very little sleep, and I've been lugging my backpack around all week. It's full of stuff I need to grade desperately, but I have lacked time, energy and ability to focus.

Today I woke up to the sound of my yougest son doing his best to imitate his poor daddy. Oh, no. Here we go again.

No comments: