Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hmmm

So my mom (yes, she's a common theme) bought me this journal (along with my dad, who also deserves mention) that is called Streams in the Desert.

I'm on day four, (kudos to me as it's Jan. 4). Anyway, this particular day has some mind-blowing stuff for this Christian girl.

It's about faith, and I will get to that momentarily. Not all of my friends are believers, and I totally get why. It's hard to put your complete trust and faith into the "unknown." Only that's the most ironic part. God is "unknown" to unbelievers because they choose not to know him. Having a personal relationship with God, with Jesus, is key. I know this and believe it, yet I sometimes have a hard time living it. How do you have an intimate relationship with a facelss being who also happens to be the creator of the universe? Am and I just some puppet to amuse him? I have had these questions a time or two, and my first response to the "how do you get closer to God?" question has always been prayer.

As Christians we learn that prayer is a powerful way to connect us to God, but my reading today suggests that prayer, used in the wrong way, can actually harm our relationship to God. Say, what!?

Yes, it says we need to guard ourselves and be careful not to "pray yourself out of faith." The belief we hold that God will answer our prayer is essential. Without the belief, our prayer is indeed self-focused. And if our eyes are on ourselves, they are not on the Lord.

So those little prayers we offer up to God because they are expected or the answers we thank him for that we never believed he would provide should be red flags for our relationship with him.

Another quote by George Mueller was cited in today's reading, and it especically struck a cord with me.

"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety."

Praise God for delivering words that I need to hear right to me. And thanks mom and dad for the neat prayer journal.

No comments: