Tuesday, June 05, 2007

10 Years

This Thursday will mark the last day of the first 10 years of my marriage. Wow. Ten years. I am not sure what to blog in this space. Perhaps a rundown of the last 10 years. That could be tricky and really test my memory.

June 7, 1997: OK, that's easy. I married my sweetie at 6 p.m. in Mound City, Mo. I could not wait to walk down the aisle. It was awesome to celebrate with family and friends, but it would have been the same if it had just been Gene and I and the preacher.

1998: I graduated with my master's from KU and Gene gets the job he loves as Washburn's SID

1999: I live in Maryville, Mo., and Lawrence, Kan., as I spend 10 months teaching at NWMSU. A lot of miles on our little black Cavalier. I have a husband and a roommate.

2000: We decide to move to Topeka. We closed on our first house on June 7, 2000. I also start my job in alumni at Washburn.

2001: We work. Back in the these days, I would frequently travel on weekends with Gene to football and basketball games. Of course, I often read my book, but we were together. We work, go to church, spend too much money.

2002: We take a fun cruise to mark what we planned to be our last anniversary without children. Our plans prevail. And, we love cruises.

2003: Our first baby boy, Jacob, is born, March 23. What a screamer. Is this baby ever going to go to sleep?

2004: We start to realize the full impact of parenthood. We were too tired the first year, and I don't actually remember a lot of it. We start thinking we had better have another baby before I lose my nerve. My mom said we couldn't not "plan" children, but we did pretty well. We were hoping for April babies both times and got March and May. Pretty darn close.

2005: Our second (and last) baby boy, Jared, is born, May 26. He was 9 pounds and four ounces. Perhaps God thought my prayers for a healthy and SMALL baby went unheard.

2006: A hard year at times. With my sister facing cancer, it really did change our focus. Jared also got ear tubes this year and was sick a lot. Jacob starts preschool and does quite well. The year ended very well though as my parents were baptized Dec. 30.

2007: The boys drive our world in a big way. We visit the zoo, take bike rides, pull the wagon, visit Sam's Club, ride the train at the park, fix meals that end up on the floor, and watch our boys grow. We love to hear Jacob's prayers from the heart and watch as Jared soaks up everything Jacob says and does. (and yes, that includes the spitting and the sassy mouth!) Gene and I still love to goof around and spend time just the two of us.

I'm a very lucky girl. It's been an awesome 10 years.

1 comment:

Campbell or @FELTit or Designs by Anna said...

Happy Anniversary baby, got you on my ....Mi-ind!

Anna