Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Conferences

2006 has not been a good year. In fact, I would likely give it a D+ overall. Now, it was not without its ups, but I will not be sad to see it go.

Lately, as the stress mounts and the work piles up, I have been thinking about my job and my future. Juggling a life as a full-time wife, mother and teacher is challenging and even overwhelming at times.

But, God has a great way of putting things back into perspective for me. A few weeks back, one of my students suggested that I pull my feature writing class in for individual conferences. I generally do this earlier in the semester, but I had honestly forgotten.

I only have eight students in the class, but it's a great class. The whiner in me often wishes that I could remove one student from each of my classes each semester. In this class, however, I find them all delightful.

I love reading their blogs, finding out what they hope to achieve and getting to know them as individual writers. I have been impressed numerous times this semester, and I hope they will leave with a positive experience.

They have a major story due, a test and their reading assignment all due before I assign them a grade in three weeks, so it might take them some time to take me off their most wanted list.

At least I hope they will take me off there.

No comments: